Medical Office Assistant (Certificate Program)
Brief Program Description
Medical Office assistants perform a variety of duties in doctor’s offices, dental offices, hospitals, medical clinics and other medical settings and include a variety of administrative duties in support of managerial and health care professionals.
The Medical Office Assistant Program provides an introductory entry-level career path for international and resident students to gain the base competencies to assist (under the supervision and work alongside health care professionals)
6 courses / 20 hours each = 120 hours total
Career Opportunities: Base entry level: ·
- Medical Office Support Staff
- Medical Office Assistant / Secretary
- Clinical Office Assistant / Secretary
- Shared Clinic / Medical Centre Reception
- Seasonal Support – Transcription
- Office Support, Long Term Care Facilities
- High school diploma/ equivalent certification
- Basic computer skills; good writing skills. Successful entrance interview/exam covering computer skills and writing skills.
Program learning objectives/outcomes
On graduation. learners will be able to: ·
- Outline the typical responsibilities of a medical office assistant.
- Describe the personal and professional ethics required for success in this profession.
- Describe how a medical front office is typically managed, focusing on administrative processes and procedures.
- Explain the procedures to follow to create and maintain accurate medical documentation
- Using standard medical terminology, explain the structures of key functions in the human body
- Identify and describe the medical office assistant’s role in standard patient interactions in the medical office, including in-office diagnostic tests and procedures, specimen sampling, medication administration, and the preparation of patients for examination.
- Describe universal precautions and explain how to maintain a safe environment in the medical office, even during emergency situations.